School governors provide strategic leadership and accountability in schools. Governors appoint the head teacher and deputy headteacher. It is governors who hold the main responsibility for finance in schools, and it is governors who work with the headteacher to make the tough decisions about balancing resources.
The role of the governing board is a strategic one, its key functions are to:
- set the aims and objectives for the school
- set the policies for achieving those aims and objectives
- set the targets for achieving those aims and objectives
- monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives
- be a source of challenge and support to the headteacher (a critical friend)
The headteacher is responsible for the internal organisation, management and control of the school and the implementation of the strategic framework established by the governing board.
At St. Theresa’s, we have a wonderful team of Governors who meet regularly to support the school. Each member of our Full Governing Body is also a member of a sub committee, please see the attachment below.
Mr. J. Smyth (Chair) Foundation Governor
Mrs. M. Schofield (Vice Chair) Foundation Governor
Mr. A. Fitzpatrick Foundation Governor
Mr. P. Okeleke Foundation Governor
Mrs. M. Sorsby Staff Governor
Miss. H. Younge Parent Governor
Mrs. T. Comer Parent Governor
Mr. M. Lilley LEA Governor
Mrs. A. Fox Deputy Headteacher
Mrs. A. Woodhead Headteacher